Re: DBpedia hosting burden

Malte Kiesel wrote:
> Ivan Mikhailov wrote:
>
>> If I were The Emperor of LOD I'd ask all grand dukes of datasources to
>> put fresh dumps at some torrent with control of UL/DL ratio :)
>
> Last time I checked (which was quite a while ago though), loading
> DBpedia in a normal triple store such as Jena TDB didn't work very
> well due to many issues with the DBpedia RDF (e.g., problems with the
> URIs of external links scraped from Wikipedia).
>
> I don't know whether this is a bug in TDB or DBpedia but I guess this
> is one of the problems causing people to use DBpedia online only -
> even if, due to performance reasons, running it locally would be far
> better.
>
> Regards
> Malte

Malte,

What about the EC2 AMIs we made, basically, we even pay for a DBpedia
snapshot [1] (meaning no loading, just mount and go).

We provide a simple loader script and VAD package Linked Data Deployment
[2] via your own Virtuoso instance (you can also get Virtuoso Open
Source Edition via most Linux Distros post KDE 4 release).

Links:

1.  http://www.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtAWSDBpedia34S
2.
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtBulkRDFLoaderExampleDbpedia
.

We are also going to release a data sync and replication engine for RDF
that basically allows you to keep subscribers in sync with publishers
(directly or via hubs).

President & CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com