Re: Merging Databases

From: Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 21:48:12 +0100
To: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
CC: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, Amrapali Zaveri <amrapali.zaveri@gmail.com>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>, Anja Jentzsch <anja@anjeve.de>, Susie Stephens <susie.stephens@gmail.com>, Larry Lefkowitz <larry@cyc.com>, David Baxter <retxabd@gmail.com>

On 20/07/2009 21:31, "Kingsley Idehen" <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> Hugh Glaser wrote:
>> Excellent Alan, thank you for pointing this out, both as a general point and
>> the specific case.
>> I had puzzled over the equivalences, since they seemed implausible (just
>> given the number), but not worked out why (I guess the lack of the backlink
>> did not help).
>> However they, along with good stuff, came from a source I chose to trust, and
>> so I went with it.
>> The caveat is useful in general - I know of other sameas that I might
>> consider erroneous/dubious but are widely accepted.
>> Another example would be the sameas between the opencyc URIs and the dbpedia
>> ones, although things of different type, which was a topic of discussion on
>> this list a while ago.
>>
> Hugh,
>
> Yes, the links between OpenCyc and DBpedia are an issue.
Although not necessarily "wrong", in the sense that they do give consumers
something - although sameAs is not really the right thing (as Alan would
say).