Re: Broken Links in LOD Data Sets

Michael Hausenblas wrote:
> Bernhard, All,
>
> So, another take on how to deal with broken links: couple of days ago I
> reported two broken links in a TAG finding [1] which was (quickly and
> pragmatically, bravo, TG!) addressed [2], recently.
>
> Let's abstract this away and apply to data rather than documents. The
> mechanism could work as follows:
>
> 1. A *human* (e.g. Through a built-in feature in a Web of Data browser such
> as Tabulator) encounters a broken link an reports it to the respective
> dataset publisher (the authoritative one who 'owns' it)
>
> OR
>
> 1. A machine encounters a broken link (should it then directly ping the
> dataset publisher or first 'ask' its master for permission?)
>
> 2. The dataset publisher acknowledges the broken link and creates according
> triples as done in the case for documents (cf. [2])
>
> In case anyone wants to pick that up, I'm happy to contribute. The name?
> Well, a straw-man proposal could be called *re*pairing *vi*ntage link
> *val*ues (REVIVAL) - anyone? :)
>
> Cheers,
>       Michael
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2009Jan/0118.html
> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2009Feb/0068.html

Micheal,

If the publisher is truly dog-fooding and they know what data objects
they are publishing, condition 404 should be the trigger for a self
directed query to determine:

1. what's happened to the entity URI
2. lookup similar entities
3. then self fix if possible (e.g. a 302)

Basically, Linked Data publishers should make 404s another Linked Data
prowess exploitation point  :-)

President & CEO