Re: Broken Links in LOD Data Sets

Bernhard, All,

So, another take on how to deal with broken links: couple of days ago I
reported two broken links in a TAG finding [1] which was (quickly and
pragmatically, bravo, TG!) addressed [2], recently.

Let's abstract this away and apply to data rather than documents. The
mechanism could work as follows:

1. A *human* (e.g. Through a built-in feature in a Web of Data browser such
as Tabulator) encounters a broken link an reports it to the respective
dataset publisher (the authoritative one who 'owns' it)

OR

1. A machine encounters a broken link (should it then directly ping the
dataset publisher or first 'ask' its master for permission?)

2. The dataset publisher acknowledges the broken link and creates according
triples as done in the case for documents (cf. [2])

In case anyone wants to pick that up, I'm happy to contribute. The name?
Well, a straw-man proposal could be called *re*pairing *vi*ntage link
*val*ues (REVIVAL) - anyone? :)

Cheers,
      Michael

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2009Jan/0118.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2009Feb/0068.html

--
Dr. Michael Hausenblas
National University of Ireland, Lower Dangan,