Re: DBpedia and the BBC

On 2/4/09 11:32 AM, Alexandre Passant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Georgi Kobilarov
> <georgi.kobilarov@gmx.de>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Olaf,
>>
>> regarding your question about usage of Linked Data in enterprises:
>>

>>> publishers in the classical sense (e.g. BBC)
>>>
>> we've submitted a paper to the ESWC 2009 semweb in-use track about the
>> use of Linked Data&  DBpedia within the BBC [1].
>>
>> Bottom line: The use of web-scale identifiers (in this particular case
>> DBpedia&  Musicbrainz) does solve problems within the enterprise, and
>> provides real benefits for end-users.
>>
>> Interested to hear other's opinions...
>>

> On a similar note you can read:
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/EDF/
> Internally reusing some data from the LOD cloud (e.g. to build
> geolocation mash-up.)
> In that case, I strongly believe that the openess and availability of
> Linked Data is the key feature
>
> Alex.

Olaf,

Simple example of Linked Data in the Enterprise using something every
enterprise has (collection of line of business applications):
http://demo.openlinksw.com/about/html/http://demo.openlinksw.com/Northwind/Customer/ALFKI

Basically, an enterprise needs to connect the dots across line of
business segments. Typically, each line of business has its preferred
line of business applications. The challenge is inevitably one of data
integration en route to attaining and sustaining agility.  Being able
see the Linked Entities across line of business domain boundaries in the
nirvana.

Executives (middle to top level) live an die by drill downs. Entire
industries have come and gone (based on the realm specific promise of
Linked Data) e.g. Executive Information Systems (EIS), Report Writers
(Crystal Reports, Impromtu, Forrest & Trees, Andyne GQL, Brio,
BusinessObjects, Excel Pivot Reports, etc..), Business Intelligence
brigade, and so on.. Ironically, the Web itself is also realm-specific,
but it has the advantage of global ubiquity, and it's this ubiquity that
makes the difference this time around courtesy of HTTP.

The Drill Down  Sequence:

1.
http://demo.openlinksw.com/about/html/http://demo.openlinksw.com/Northwind/Customer/ALFKI
(HTML Report that mentions about Customer: ALFKI)
2.
http://demo.openlinksw.com/about/html/http://demo.openlinksw.com/Northwind/Customer/ALFKI%23this
(HTML Report about Customer: ALFKI)
3.
http://demo.openlinksw.com/about/html/http://demo.openlinksw.com/Northwind/Order/10643%23this
(HTML Report about ALFKI's orders)
4. #Berling or #Germany move you into DBpedia

The sequence above shows how we've compressed what used to be a complete
Report Writing or EIS app. into URIs with negotiable presentation
courtesy of HTTP. Even more relevant is the fact that the underlying
data resides in an RDBMS (most enterprises are driven by these and won't
be replacing them anytime soon) while Linked Data virtues occurs via RDF
Views atop the original source (Concpetual Model View over Logical Model
View).

So via a single URI provides executives with the materialization of the
"Information at Your Fingertips" vision.

Technology has just caught up with enterprise expectations and
assumptions re. IT, courtesy of HTTP as a result of Web ubiquity :-)

President&  CEO