Re: Drilling into the LOD Cloud

On 29 Sep 2008, at 05:16, Aldo Bucchi wrote:
> I think you're overlooking something....
> If you're using dc:author to state
>
> <http://dbpedia.org/resource/R%C3%B6yksopp> dc:author example:me
>
> ( which translates to: "I *created Royksopp*, the music band" )
>
> And then Umbel states that *they created* the music band ( I made this
> up for the example ).
>
> <http://umbel.org/umbel/ne/wikipedia/R%C3%B6yksopp> dc:author
> ex:someoneElse .
>
> you will indeed run into problems when equating the two IDs.
>
> <http://dbpedia.org/resource/R%C3%B6yksopp> owl:sameAs
> <http://umbel.org/umbel/ne/wikipedia/R%C3%B6yksopp>
>
> But, AFAIK, this is *incorrect usage of dc:author* and not a design
> flaw re. owl:sameAs.

Yes, this is incorrect usage of the property. (I presume you mean
dc:creator.)

> Luckily, neither UMBEL nor  DBpedia seem to be using dc:author
> incorrectly.
>
> Authorship metadata should not be attached to the ID for the concept,
> but to the vocabulary namespace or through other indirection.

What we usually do: We attach the metadata to the *document* that
contains the *description* of the entity.

So, in the DBpedia case the authorship information would be attached
to the URI of the RDF document describing the band:

<http://dbpedia.org/data/R%C3%B6yksopp>

and not to the band's identifier.

Multiple datasets can of course talk about the same band, but they
will do so in different documents, and the different documents will
have different metadata.

This is the Named Graph model of metadata management. It works very
well with Linked Data, but it's less clear how to apply it best to
SPARQL-accessible RDF data.

> Which brings up another point: how do you state that a URI belongs to
> a given vocabulary.

I'm not convinced that this is a useful thing to do. When defining
RDFS/OWL terms, you can use rdfs:isDefinedBy to connect the class/
property to the defining RDFS/OWL document.

> - URI opaqueness plays against here
> - is this really something we want/need?
> - ...
>
> If what you intend to equate is a document ( which usually have dc:*
> metadata ) with another doc that has different metadata, stop and
> rethink it. You might be wanting to equate the concepts they
> reference.

Yes exactly, nicely put.

Yours,
Richard