Re: linked data hosted somewhere

Thanks, Kingsley and Aldo.
I have to say you raise quite a lot of concerns, or at least matters of
interest.
I really don't think it is a big deal that I asked someone to consider
resources when accessing my web site, and I am a bit uncomfortable that I
then get messages effectively telling me that my software is poor and I
should be using (buying?) something else.

On 26/11/2008 02:12, "Kingsley Idehen" <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> Hugh Glaser wrote:
>> I thought that might be the answer.
>> So what is the ontology of the error, so that my SW application can deal with
>> it appropriately?
>> If it ainąt RDF it ainąt sensible in the Semantic Web.
>> ;-|
>> And the łentitlement˛ to spend lots of money by accident; a bit worrying,
>> although I assume there are services that allow me to find out at least
>> estimates of the cost.
>>
> If you are querying via iSQL or the Virtuoso Conductor you wont be
> moving lots of data between your desktop and EC2. If you do large
> constructs over the sparql protocol or anything else that produces large
> HTTP workloads between EC2 and your location, then you will incur the
> costs (btw - Amazon are quite aggressive re. the costs, so you really
> have to be serving many client i.e., offering a service for costs being
> a major concern).
Er, yes, that was the question we were discussing.
Large constructs over the sparql prototcol.
With respect to costs, I never mentioned Amazon, so I am not sure why that
is the benchmark for comparison.
But I don't want to have a go at the Openlink software (I often recommend it
to people); I was just asking about limitations.
All software has limitations.

> Anyway, Virtuoso let's you control lots of things, including shutting
> down the sparql endpoint. In addition, you will soon be able to offer
> OAuth access to sparql endpoint etc..
Yes, and I didn't really want to have the overhead of interacting with
Ravinder to explain why I had shut down his access to the SPARQL endpoint.
>> I suspect that your comment about a bill is a bit of a joke, in that normal
>> queries do not require money?
>> But it does raise an interesting LOD question.
>> Ravinder asked for LOD sets; if I have to pay for the query service, is it
>> LOD?
>>
> You pay for traffic that goes in and out of your data space.
>
> (effective November 26, 2008)
> Fixed Costs ($)
<snip amazon costs/>
> Here is a purchase link that also exposes the items above.
> ringCode=6CB89F71
>
> Of course, you can always use the Open Source Edition as is and
> reconstruct DBpedia from scratch, the cost-benefit analysis factors come
> down to:
>
> 1. Construction and Commissioning time (1 - 1.5 hrs vs 16 - 22 hrs)
> 2. On / Off edition variant of live DBpedia instance that's fully tuned
> and in sync with the master
>> Getting back to dealing with awkward queries.
>> Detecting what are effectively DoS attacks is not always the easiest thing to
>> do.
>> Has Bezzo really solved it for a SPARQL endpoint while providing a useful
>> service to users with a wide variety of requirements?
>>
> I believe so based on what we can do with Virtuoso on EC2.  One major
> example is the backup feature where we can sync from a Virtuoso instance
> into S3 buckets. Then perform a restore from those buckets (what we do
> re. DBpedia). In our case we offer HTTP/WebDAV or the S3 protocol for
> bucket access.
I don't think this contributes to helping to service complex SPARQL queries,
or have I missed somthing?
>> In fact, people donąt usually offer open SQL access to Open Databases for
>> exactly this reason.
>> I like to think the day will come when the Semantic Web is so widely used
>> that we will have the same problem with SPARQL endpoints.
>>
> The Linked Data Web is going to take us way beyond anything SQL could
> even fantasize about (imho). And one such fantasy is going to be
> accessible sparql endpoints without bringing the house down :-)
Now there I agree.
The power of LD/SW or whatever you call it will indeed take us a long way
further.
And I agree on the fantasy, which is actually what I was saying all along.
It is a fantasy to suggest that "you can do all the wrong you want".

But I think it is sensible to take the question to a new thread...

Best
Hugh