Re: Size matters -- How big is the danged thing

From: Tom Heath <tom.heath@talis.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:35:28 +0000
To: "Peter Ansell" <ansell.peter@gmail.com>
Cc: "Damian Steer" <d.steer@bristol.ac.uk>, public-lod@w3.org

Hi Peter,

Following on from Damian's comment (and your response :) have a read
of the paper at [1], which hopefully covers the background to this
area in an accessible way. You may also get a little extra context
from the slides at [2].

HTH,

Tom.

[1] http://events.linkeddata.org/ldow2008/papers/08-miller-styles-open-data-commons.pdf
[2] http://events.linkeddata.org/ldow2008/slides/PaulMiller_LinkedDataWorkshop.pdf

2008/11/23 Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@gmail.com>:
> 2008/11/23 Damian Steer <d.steer@bristol.ac.uk>
>>
>> On 22 Nov 2008, at 22:06, Peter Ansell wrote:
>>>
>>> On the point of licensing...  Why do more data sets not include links to
>>> the
>>> relevant copyright statements and/or licenses with cc:license [1] ,
>>> dc:license etc.?
>>
>> Creative commons often isn't appropriate in this area, since what we a
>> talking about are collections of facts. The creative element is not in the
>> content but the collection and arrangement of the facts, and the notion of
>> 'ownership' is captured in database rights, rather than copyright. Happily
>> Talis and others been looking at this area:
>>
>> <http://www.opendatacommons.org/>
>>
>> and particularly:
>>
>> <http://www.opendatacommons.org/odc-public-domain-dedication-and-licence/>
>>

> The difference goes completely over my head. Maybe I shouldn't delve into it
> without expert help.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter

> Find out more about Talis at www.talis.com
>
> shared innovationTM
>
> Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those
> of Talis Information Ltd or its employees. The content of this email message
> and any files that may be attached are confidential, and for the usage of
> the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, then
> please return this message to the sender and delete it. Any use of this
> e-mail by an unauthorised recipient is prohibited.
>
> Talis Information Ltd is a member of the Talis Group of companies and is
> registered in England No 3638278 with its registered office at Knights
> Court, Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park, B37 7YB.

Dr Tom Heath
Researcher
Platform Division
Talis Information Ltd