Re: Size matters -- How big is the danged thing

David Wood wrote:
> Sorry to intervene here, but I think Kingsley's suggestion sets up a
> false dicotomy. REST principles (surely part of everything we stand
> for :) suggest that the source of RDF doesn't matter as long as a URL
> returns what we want. Late binding means not having to say you're sorry.
>
> Is it a good idea to set up a class system where those who publish to
> files are somehow better (or even different!) than those who publish
> via adapters?
David,

Yes, the dichotomy is false if the basis is: Linked Data irrespective of
means or source, as long as the URIs are de-referencable. On the other
hand, if Linked Data generated "on the fly" isn't deemed part of the LOD
cloud (the qualm expressed in Giovanni's comments) then we have to call
RDF-ized Linked Data something :-)

You can count the warehouse (an arrive at hub size) but the RDF-ized
stuff is a complete red herring (imho - see cool fractal animations post).

What I am hoping is a more interesting quesion is this: have we reached
the point were we can drop "burgeoning" from the state of the Linked
Data Web? Do we have a hub that provides enough critical mass for the
real fun to start (i.e., finding stuff with precision that data object
properties accord) ?

Personally, I think the Linked Data Web has reached this point, so our
attention really has to move more towards showing what Linked Data adds
to the Web in general.

Kingsley

> So, I vote for counting all of it. Isn't that what Google and Yahoo do
> when they count the number of "pages" indexed?
>
> Regards,
> Dave
> --
>
> On Nov 21, 2008, at 4:26 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
> wrote:

>>> IMO considering myspace 12 billion triples as part of LOD, is quite a
>>> stretch (same with other wrappers) unless they are provided by the
>>> entity itself (E.g. i WOULD count in livejournal foaf file on the
>>> other hand, ok they're not linked but they're not less useful than the
>>> myspace wrapper are they? (in fact they are linked quite well if you
>>> use the google social API)
>>>

>>> Giovanni
>>>

>> Giovanni,
>>
>> Maybe we should use the following dichotomy re. the Web of Linked
>> Data (aka. Linked Data Web):
>>
>> 1. Static Linked Data or Linked Data Warehouses - which is really
>> what the LOD corpus is about
>> 2. Dynamic Linked Data - which is what RDF-zation middleware
>> (including wrapper/proxy URI generators) is about.
>>
>> Thus, I would say that Jim is currently seeking stats for the Linked
>> Data Warehouse part of the burgeoning Linked Data Web. And hopefully,
>> once we have the stats, we can get on to the more important task of
>> explaining and demonstrating the utility of the humongous Linked Data
>> corpus :-)
>>
>> ESW Wiki should be evolving as I write this mail (i.e. tabulated
>> presentation of the data that's already in place re. this matter).
>>

>> All: Could we please stop .png and .pdf based dispatches of data, it
>> kinda contradicts everything we stand for :-)
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Kingsley Idehen          Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
>> President & CEO OpenLink Software     Web: http://www.openlinksw.com