Dataset vocabularies vs. interchange vocabularies (was: Re: DBpedia 3.2 release, including DBpedia Ontology and RDF links to Freebase)

On 17 Nov 2008, at 22:33, Hugh Glaser wrote:
> I am a bit uncomfortable with the idea of "you should use a:b from c
> and d:e from f and g:h from i..."
> It makes for a fragmented view of my data, and might encourage me to
> use things that do not capture exactly what I mean, as well as
> introducing dependencies with things that might change, but over
> which I have no control.
> So far better to use ontologies of type (b) where appropriate, and
> define my own of type (a), which will (hopefully) be nicely
> constructed, and easier to understand as smallish artefacts that can
> be looked at as a whole.
> Of course, this means we need to crack the infrastructure that does
> dynamic ontology mapping, etc.
> Mind you, unless we have the need, we are less likely to do so.
> I also think that the comments about the restrictions being a
> characteristic of the dataset for type (a), but more like comments
> on the world for type (b) are pretty good.

+1 on everything above.

I acknowledge that this is a minority POV at the moment.

The more common POV is: “Re-use classes and properties from well-
established vocabularies wherever you can. Don't invent your own terms
unless you absolutely have to.”

Interestingly, this somewhat echoes an old argument often heard in the
days of the “URI crisis” a few years ago: ““We must avoid a
proliferation of URIs. We must avoid having lots of URIs for the same
thing. Re-use other people's identifiers wherever you can. Don't
invent your own unless you absolutely have to.””

I think that the emergence of linked data has shattered that argument.
One of the key practices of linked data is: ““Mint your own URIs
when you publish new data. *Then* interlink it with other data by
setting sameAs links to existing identifiers.””

The key insight is that linking yields many of the benefits of
identifier re-use, while being much easier to manage due to the looser
coupling.

That's for instance data. But a similar argument can be made for
vocabularies: ““Create your own terms when you publish a new
dataset. *Then* interlink it with existing vocabularies by setting
subclass and subproperty links.””

I'm not sure if this is *always* appropriate. But I do believe that
there is nothing wrong with creating a vocabulary that is tailored to
your dataset, and *not* intended or designed for re-use by anyone
else. As long as you publish an RDFS/OWL description of your terms,
and make an effort to include subclass/subproperty links to common
vocabularies in it.

Coming back to the point I was trying to make below in the thread:
Tailored, dataset-specific or site-specific vocabularies are one kind
of beast; designed-for-reuse interchange vocabularies are another. The
purpose of the second kind is to serve as common superclasses/
superproperties for the first kind, as “linking hubs” so to speak, to
enable queries or UIs that work across datasets and sites.

I don't see a problem with including tight restrictions such as
restrictive domain/range statements or cardinality constraints in
dataset vocabularies, if one finds them helpful for consistency
checking or dynamic UIs. But in interchange vocabularies, tight
restrictions hurt reusability, so it's usually better to go very easy
on the harder RDFS and OWL features.

Best,
Richard