Re: How do you deprecate URIs? Re: OWL-DL and linked data

2008/7/9 Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>:
> On 9 Jul 2008, at 00:11, Bijan Parsia wrote:
> [big snip]
>>
>> Complaining that the Big Nasty People Who Know What They're Talking About
>> are raining on your sameAs parade isn't constructive.
>
> Ah Bijan. How about *you* grow up, flameboy?
>
> You keep asserting that There Are Technical Problems With Using sameAs. It
> would help your argument if you told us what those technical problems
> actually *are*. I heard you say that using owl:sameAs could bite us in the
> butt. Could you be more specific?
>
> Many people in this forum, including me, do not have a background in formal
> logics. Without that background, it is hard to distinguish proper uses of
> owl:sameAs from improper uses of owl:sameAs. Please give us some guidance on
> that rather than wasting your intellect on fanning the flames.
>
> A side note: The reason why I advocate the use of owl:sameAs is not that
> it's the *right* solution. But it's *the only solution that was available*.
> The alternative would have been to argue for a year or two instead of
> linking up our datasets. Not compelling. That being said, I'm very
> interested in hearing your take on when I should use owl:sameAs and when
> not.
>
> Richard

For the record, I am not trying to flame anyone, just trying to tease
out usable alternatives, and the cases where we shouldn't use
owl:sameAs in order to avoid conflicting with people who want to use
OWL reasoners. I, and others, need a predicate, or set of predicates,
that can be utilised in queries for accessing and reconciling data
across the distributed semantic web database, where no one has
compiled a self-contained OWL ontology for my particular purpose, or
needs to if they are able to accept that non-universal queries are a
valid mechanism for new knowledge creation.

Sorry if it doesn't seem like that is going well so far!

Peter