Re: Granular dereferencing ( prop by prop ) using REST + LinkedData; Ideas?

On 12/29/08 10:51 AM, Aldo Bucchi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am in the process of LODing a dataset in which certain properties
> are generated on the fly ( props derived from aggregate calculations
> over the dataset, remote calls, etc ). I would like to let the clients
> choose which of these expensive properties they need on demand and on
> a granular level.
>
> For example, lets say I am interested in knowing more about resource
> <http://ex.com/a>.
> Per LD conventions, dereferencing http://ex.com/a ( via 303 ) returns
>
> <http://ex.com/a>  a ex:Thing ;
>    rdfs:label "a sample dynamic resource";
>    ex:dynamic1 45567 .
>
> The problem is that the value for ex:dynamic1 is very expensive to
> compute. Therefore, I would like to "partition" the document in such a
> way that the client can ask  for the property on a lazy, deferred
> manner ( a second call in the future ).
> The same is true for dynamic2, dynamic3, dynamic4, etc. All should be
> retrievable independently and on demand.
>
> * I am aware that this can be achieved by extending SPARQL in some
> toolkits. But I need LOD.
> * I am also aware that most solutions require us to break URI
> obscurity by stuffing the subject and predicate in the uri for a doc.
> * Finally, seeAlso is too broad as it doesn't convey the information I need.
>
> Anyone came up with a clean pattern for this?
> Ideas?
>
> Something as simple as:
> GET http://x.com/sp?s={subject}&p={predicate} --->  required RDF
>
> works for me... but... .
> If possible, I would like to break conventions in a conventional manner ;)
>
> Best,

Aldo,

We will have something to demonstrate re. this matter once we are done
with the Xmas / New Year break in relation to the entire LOD data set
being loaded into Virtuoso. In a nutshell, we are going to expose Quad
Store stats using VoiD. The Client shouldn't have to calculate anything
anymore, the stats should be part of the data exposed by the RDF store.

President&  CEO