Re: Granular dereferencing ( prop by prop ) using REST + LinkedData; Ideas?

Olaf,

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Olaf Hartig
<hartig@informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hey Aldo,
>
> On Monday 29 December 2008 16:51:05 Aldo Bucchi wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am in the process of LODing a dataset in which certain properties
>> are generated on the fly ( props derived from aggregate calculations
>> over the dataset, remote calls, etc ). I would like to let the clients
>> choose which of these expensive properties they need on demand and on
>> a granular level.
>> [..]
>
> What about the Expect header field [1] for HTTP requests?
>
> According to the spec, a client may express its expectations regarding the
> behaviour of the server with this field.
>
> May be you could use this field as follows. To request the RDF representation
> of a resource with expensive ex:dynamic1 properties a client may issue a GET
> request
>
>  GET http://ex.com/a
>
> with
>
>  Expect: expectedproperties = "ex:dynamic1"
>
> The server evaluates the expectedproperties parameter and computes the
> properties expected by the client. For requests without the Expect header
> field the server responds with an RDF description that contains only
> inexpensive properties.

Interesting idea. Will give it a try ;)

I wonder...

* what the pundits may think of this.
* The max header size or any other limiations

I am now finding that a simple (and conventional) way of achieving
what I want is to announce a void:sparqlEndpoint as part of the
response and then teach the clients to perform a simple describe query
to get the desired props.

However, the domain of void:sparqlEndpoint is restricted to
void:Dataset, so we need a small "triangulation":

[ void:sparqlEndpoint <http://ex.com/sparql> ] void:sampleResource
<http://ex.com/a> .

The trouble with this is that you need to somehow tap into the sparql
processor or intercept a certain type of queries. But it is doable.

Anyway, keep em coming ;)

> Greetings,
> Olaf

Thanks,

--
Aldo Bucchi
U N I V R Z

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
This message is only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If
you are not the intended recipient, please do not distribute or copy this
communication, by e-mail or otherwise. Instead, please notify us immediately by
return e-mail.
INFORMACIÓN PRIVILEGIADA Y CONFIDENCIAL
Este mensaje está destinado sólo a la persona u organización al cual está
dirigido y podría contener información privilegiada y confidencial. Si usted no
es el destinatario, por favor no distribuya ni copie esta comunicación, por
email o por otra vía. Por el contrario, por favor notifíquenos inmediatamente
vía e-mail.