From: Frans Knibbe | Geodan [mailto:frans.knibbe@geodan.nl]
Sent: Friday, 5 September 2014 8:10 PM
To: Cox, Simon (L&W, Highett); public-locadd@w3.org
Subject: Re: A proposal for two additional properties for LOCN

On 2014-09-03 2:22, Simon.Cox@csiro.au<mailto:Simon.Cox@csiro.au> wrote:

Ø  As for using xsd:anyURI, I am happy with it (I would probably prefer having a class CRS with instances for it
+1
Yes - I do not like to see anyURI as the range for anything, except for a property whose job is to assign an identifier.
If you want to defer specifying a range, then make it an owl:ObjectProperty .

Hello Simon, all,

My idea was to have something that encourages using a URI that resolves to data about the CRS, like the URIs IGN France is providing, but does not exclude URIs that do not resolve to RDF data, like the OGC URIs at the moment. So in that case it only assigns a globally unique identifier, but it is an identifier that does not need to be changed should it resolve to RDF data some time in the future. If the URI is a HTTP URI, that is.  Does that make sense?

I just did some reading on the subject and think I now understand that the problem with xsd:anyURI is that it is a string and not a resource. And a string can not magically become a resource. Bummer.

For data processing it would best if the domain is a CRS class with all the necessary properties. But that wouldn't that mean that we have to pick an authoritative definition of a CRS class? I don't think LOCADD is the right place to add a CRS class definition, that goes beyond the concept of a simple core vocabulary. So if a class is used for the range it would be class that is defined in another vocabulary. Is the geospatial world ready for choosing an authoritative CRS class definition?

How about defining a CRS class in LOCN without any properties? Then we could use that class for the range of locn:crs . Organisations like the OGC or IGN France could flesh out such a class, creating subclasses of the locn:CRS class. How is that?

Regards,
Frans