Re: A proposal for two additional properties for LOCN

Hi,

I would propose to use guarded restrictions to scope crs locally (in the
CRS class) instead of a global restriction. If we leave CRS (more or
less) undefined, we do not gain anything by the global inference anyway,
but I will not argue about it if all of you prefer to have global domain
and range restrictions on the roles.

Best,
Krzysztof

On 09/07/2014 07:00 PM, Simon.Cox@csiro.au wrote:

> Yes, I would suggest
>
> locn:crs a owl:ObjectProperty ;
>
> rdfs:label “coordinate reference system used” ;
>
> rdfs:range locn:CRS .
>
> locn:CRS a owl:Class ;
>
> rdfs:label “coordinate reference system” .
>
> Then in data when you see
>
> my:Thing locn:crs <http://example.org/c> .
>
> a reasoner will tell you that the resource denoted
> <http://example.org/c> is a member of the class denoted locn:CRS.
>
> The inference stands regardless of whether an RDF representation can
> be obtained or not (in the open-world we can assume/hope one is
> available somewhere, even if we don’t know where, yet!).
>
> Simon

Krzysztof Janowicz

4830 Ellison Hall, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4060

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu
Webpage: http://geog.ucsb.edu/~jano/