Re: space and time

Dear all,

this is indeed a very important and pressing topic. With respect to the
examples below, I would just like to point out that a temporal (and
spatial) scope is different from a statement that some event occurred
before, after, during, etc, another event or that a certain territory
was established during a particular time.

Such statements can be addressed by defining a vocabulary for them. The
scoping would have to be addressed by the formal semantics of the KR
language and in fact Pat Hayes proposed this a few times before.

If you are interested in a tight integration of space and time, we are
currently working on a so-called 'settings' ontology design pattern that
does exactly that. It was developed during the last Geo-VoCamp in Santa
Barbara in March 2014. We also have a more informal piece about this
that is currently under review (I am cc-ing Karl Grossner in case he
wants to share the draft) I hope we can report more details within the
next few weeks.

Cheers,
Krzysztof

--
Krzysztof Janowicz

5806 Ellison Hall, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4060

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu
Webpage: http://geog.ucsb.edu/~jano/