Re: space and time

Hi, Raphaël.

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Raphaël Troncy
<raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Thanks for starting up this thread Frans. I don't have a strong opinion on
> this issue, and, like you, I tend to think that space and orthogonal
> dimensions. However, there are a number of use cases where those dimensions
> are tied which trigger the question where we should not have a few handy
> predicates to handle those cases, among others :
>   - the temporal validity of the spatial extent of a geographic feature:
> this is indeed a generic use case that can be applied to any resource (a
> solution is for example Memento)
>   - the temporal evolution of the spatial extent of a geographic feature:
> the typical case is to represent the evolution of boundaries of a
> administrative unit
>   - etc.

For temporal validity, possible candidates may be:
- dcterms:valid (http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-valid)
- wdrs:validfrom (http://www.w3.org/2007/05/powder-s#validfrom)
- wdrs:validuntil (http://www.w3.org/2007/05/powder-s#validuntil)

But  if, more in general, we are talking about the scope of etc., a
more generic property may be needed (I wonder whether dcterms:temporal
can do the job).

> I observe that:
>   - since 1 month, there is a HUGE thread in the geojson community in order
> to be able to represent time together with space. Concrete proposals have
> been made, see https://github.com/geojson/geojson-ld/issues/

Thanks for pointing this out, Raphaël. IMHO, the terms they are about
to define ("when", "start", "end", "earliest", "latest") may already
provide the "handy predicates" you mentioned.

Cheers,

Andrea