Re: CRS specification (was: Re: ISA Core Location Vocabulary)

Hi Andrea, all,

My thoughts on this matter:

 1. I think it would be be best if the CRS is identified by a URI. This
    allows dereferencing the identifier to find out things about the CRS.
 2. I think that in most cases the CRS identifier will not be used for
    dereferencing, but for filtering data on CRS or for finding out the
    CRS of a geometry or a collection of geometries.
 3. I think the CRS should not only be applicable to geometries, but to
    collections of geometries or datasets too. In other words, I think
    it should be possible to use the specification of the CRS in the
    dataset metadata, possibly instead of repeatedly specifying a CRS
    for each geometry in a dataset.
 4. Being able to dereference a CRS URI is desirable. A common case
    would be to get the EPSG code of a CRS, an important attribute if
    data are used in current GIS software.
 5. Other examples of the usefulness of having access to all CRS
    parameters (as will be the case in the system IGN France is
    developing) are getting information on the axis orientation of a CRS
    (a great source of confusion) and enabling automatic coordinate
    transformations (without the need for a library of CRS parameters).
 6. Although it would be nice not to have a lot of CRS registries to
    choose from, I don't think any specific registry should be
    recommended. I think it is best to leave it open to future
    developments to find a best practice for identifying (and
    describing) CRS's. This would in the spirit of the vocabulary too,
    because the specification of geometry is also left very open.
 7. To answer a part of Krzysztof's question (What would be wrong with
    having the identification of the CRS together with the WKT in a
    literal): I believe the basic thing is that the coordinates of a
    geometry and its CRS are just two separate things that should not be
    conflated. When this happens, it has many undesirable effects. For
    example, it becomes much harder to use the CRS as a filter in a
    SPARQL query (e.g. give me all geometries that have CRS =
    <http://my/crs> ). Also, it is not possible to assign multiple CRS
    specifications to a geometry (e.g. the CRS of this geometry has
    identifier X issued by the OGC and identifier Y issued by IGN
    France). Storage media will probably have a hard time indexing data
    by CRS if the CRS is hidden away in a literal. And, as I wrote
    before, I don't think the domain of a CRS specification should be
    limited to a single geometry.
    I wonder if there is a reason why it would a good thing to combine
    geometry and identification of the CRS in a single literal?

Based on these considerations I think it would be nice to add a CRS
property to the vocabulary, that its range should be a URI and that the
domain of the property should include datasets (void:Dataset,
dcat:Dataset ?). I don't know if it makes sense to also include RDF
collections in the domain...

Regards,
Frans

--