RE: Disjointedness of FRBR classes

I am confused by the statement that schema:CreativeWork "includes a creator entity". The "creator" *property* refers to either a Person or Organization entity but I don't think that implies those entities are "included" in the CreativeWork.

Here is a simple example using the Schema.org vocabulary:

:creativeWork1
	a schema:CreativeWork;
	schema:name "Hamlet";
	schema:creator :person1 .
:person1
	a schema:Person;
	schema:name "Shakespeare" .

Here's the same example using the DC Terms vocabulary:

:creativeWork1
	a dcterms:BibliographicResource;
	dcterms:title "Hamlet";
	dcterms:creator :person1 .
:person1
	a dcterms:Agent;
	dcterms:title "Shakespeare" .

The same patterns COULD be applied at a finer granularity if FRBR mapped to a higher level of abstraction like so:

# I'm hedging my bets by using both schema:CreativeWork and dcterms:BibliographicResource. Take your pick.
frbr:Work
	rdfs:subClassOf schema:CreativeWork, dcterms:BibliographicResoure .
frbr:Expression
	rdfs:subClassOf schema:CreativeWork, dcterms:BibliographicResoure .
frbr:Manifestation
	rdfs:subClassOf schema:CreativeWork, dcterms:BibliographicResoure .
frbr:Item
	rdfs:subClassOf schema:CreativeWork, dcterms:BibliographicResoure .

# Group 1/2 relationships defined in section 5.2.2 of the FRBR Final Report
frbr:createdBy
	rdfs:subPropertyOf schema:creator, dcterms:creator;
frbr:isRealizedBy
	rdfs:subPropertyOf schema:creator, dcterms:creator;
frbr:isProducedBy
	rdfs:subPropertyOf schema:creator, dcterms:creator;

> Neither FRBR Group 1 nor ISBD
> include entities that represent creators (they include only a
> statement of responsibility, which is a textual statement).

I agree that a "statement of responsibility" (datatype) property feels somehow redundant, but I don't think it should cause us to doubt the need for a "creator" (object) property.

As suggested above, FRBR splits the "creator" (schema:creator or dcterms:creator) property into 3 implied subproperties with a Group 1 Entity (schema:CreativeWork or dcterms:BibliographicResoure) on one end and Group 2 Entity (schema:Person, schema:Organization, dcterms:Agent) on the other. The models aren't really all that different as the mappings above should demonstrate. (I could show these side-by-side in UML if someone though it would help.)

> DC's BibliographicResource seems to be rather abstract and I think you
> could make the argument that it is either equivalent to FRBR:Work
> and/or to the entirety of FRBR using all 3 groups. (Actually, I'd like
> to hear which of those others think it is... or if it is something
> else altogether.)

As argued above, I think WEMI (Group 1 Entities) should be modeled as subclasses of schema:CreativeWork/dcterms:BibliographicResource. Treating Group 2/3 Entities as subclasses of same seems too philosophical to me.

> > Likewise, I think that "FRBR" does our patrons (and thus us) a
> > disservice by rejecting the vital and intuitive notions of
> > http://schema.org/Book and http://schema.org/Movie as 1st class
> > objects.
>
> It will be interesting to see if those objects work in practice, and
> what people do with the grey areas. We all know what a prototypical
> book looks like, but there are edge cases, like a spiral-bound
> soft-cover 100-page government training document. Is it anything
> between covers? What if the covers are missing?

I don't see the harm of letting someone claim that a notebook is a Book. Being able to say it is also a frbr:Item or frbr:Manifestation would make it even clearer.

:notebook_manifestation1
	a schema:Book, frbr:Manifestation;
	schema:description "spiral-bound soft-cover 100-page government training document." .
:notebook_item1
	a schema:Book, frbr:Item;
	frbr:isAnExemplarOf :notebook_manifestation1;
	schema:description "gutted w/ missing covers" .

> Is a flip-book a book
> or a movie? (It *is* an example of moving pictures.

I would argue that it is both a schema:Book AND a schema:Movie. This gets back to my complaint about forcing things into a single type.

> My guess is that
> schema.org can afford to ignore the edge cases in a way that libraries
> cannot. schema.org is not endeavoring to catalog and preserve
> materials. I think that libraries can display materials to patrons AS
> IF books and movies were first class objects without having to design
> their schema to treat them as such.

I like the Schema.org vocabulary because I think that intuition is underrated.

Jeff