RE: Disjointedness of FRBR classes

Quoting "Young,Jeff (OR)" <jyoung@oclc.org>:

> I am confused by the statement that schema:CreativeWork "includes a
> creator entity". The "creator" *property* refers to either a Person
> or Organization entity but I don't think that implies those entities
> are "included" in the CreativeWork.

You are right. I was reading the wrong column.

> I agree that a "statement of responsibility" (datatype) property
> feels somehow redundant, but I don't think it should cause us to
> doubt the need for a "creator" (object) property.

No, it doesn't do that. They aren't actually redundant because the
"creator" is (in library parlance) a heading, and the "statement of
responsibility" is part of the transcribed surrogate for the title
page. They are distinctly different data elements. Both are needed.
(Personally, I could live without the statement of responsibility, but
the cataloging rules - based on ISBD - are quite clear about its
necessity.)

> As argued above, I think WEMI (Group 1 Entities) should be modeled
> as subclasses of schema:CreativeWork/dcterms:BibliographicResource.
> Treating Group 2/3 Entities as subclasses of same seems too
> philosophical to me.

Maybe not the same, but there needs to be the possibility of a graph,
perhaps a named graph, that includes all of the information needed for
a complete bibliographic description, including everything you wish to
index and display. This is one of the things that worries librarians
about moving from MARC, which is a stand-alone record, to linked data.
They are afraid of parts getting lost or not been available when
needed. I presume that we will have a "transfer" format that
encompasses the entire "bibliographic record" for data exchange.

> I don't see the harm of letting someone claim that a notebook is a
> Book. Being able to say it is also a frbr:Item or frbr:Manifestation
> would make it even clearer.

Remember that a FRBR:Item must instantiate a FRBR:Manifestation, which
in turn must manifest a FRBR:Expression of a FRBR:Work. Everything is
always at least:
W|WE|WEM|WEMI. No bibliographic resource can be "just" an Item or a
Manifestation. At least, NOT the way that FRBR is defined. An Item is
always an Item *of*...

>> Is a flip-book a book
>> or a movie? (It *is* an example of moving pictures.
>
> I would argue that it is both a schema:Book AND a schema:Movie. This
> gets back to my complaint about forcing things into a single type.

But weren't you saying that you wanted Book and Movie to be first
class objects? To me that implies an either/or. It seems more
plausible to have a resource that can have both Book and Movie aspects.

> I like the Schema.org vocabulary because I think that intuition is
> underrated.

In the cataloging interfaces, a cataloger chooses a primary format
(Book, Movie) and is given a template that looks not unlike the
schema.org template (except it's in MARC, but it could be a friendlier
display). The library record makes it possible to display a book or a
movie to the user. I don't see what we lose in terms of services.

But the library determination of type is not based on intuition.
Libraries have rules that determine which template you choose. That's
because our use case is that we want to use each other's data and it
takes work to change someone else's Book to your Serial if you
disagree on the primary format. If we didn't need to share so deeply,
the rules would be less important.

kc