RE: Disjointedness of FRBR classes

Quoting "Young,Jeff (OR)" <jyoung@oclc.org>:

> IMO, "FRBR" purists are shooting themselves in the foot by denying
> the reality of "Group 1 Entity". That's why I'm attracted to
> http://schema.org/CreativeWork and/or
> http://purl.org/dc/terms/BibliographicResource as useful
> alternatives. I suspect that the former has the inside track because
> the URI actually resolves to something human-friendly, (among other
> reasons).

Jeff, I agree that a Group 1 Entity seems useful in many
circumstances. It does not, however, as I read it, have the same scope
as http://schema.org/CreativeWork or dc:/BibliographicResource. I
believe that you need to at least include the Group 2 entities from
FRBR to have something equivalent to the schema.org class, because
that class includes a creator entity. Neither FRBR Group 1 nor ISBD
include entities that represent creators (they include only a
statement of responsibility, which is a textual statement).

DC's BibliographicResource seems to be rather abstract and I think you
could make the argument that it is either equivalent to FRBR:Work
and/or to the entirety of FRBR using all 3 groups. (Actually, I'd like
to hear which of those others think it is... or if it is something
else altogether.)

> Likewise, I think that "FRBR" does our patrons (and thus us) a
> disservice by rejecting the vital and intuitive notions of
> http://schema.org/Book and http://schema.org/Movie as 1st class
> objects.

It will be interesting to see if those objects work in practice, and
what people do with the grey areas. We all know what a prototypical
book looks like, but there are edge cases, like a spiral-bound
soft-cover 100-page government training document. Is it anything
between covers? What if the covers are missing? Is a flip-book a book
or a movie? (It *is* an example of moving pictures.) My guess is that
schema.org can afford to ignore the edge cases in a way that libraries
cannot. schema.org is not endeavoring to catalog and preserve
materials. I think that libraries can display materials to patrons AS
IF books and movies were first class objects without having to design
their schema to treat them as such.

kc

--
Karen Coyle