RE: Ontological constraints

One aspect of this is that it isn't necessarily essential to include rdf:type properties when we name individuals using a URI. Many of them can be inferred on-demand from the domain/range of its properties. In those cases, including them in an RDF document representation is just another form of caching.

I think it makes sense to emphasize properties over classes, especially if those properties are defined as owl:ObjectProperty vs. owl:DatatypeProprety. "is-a" is nice to know and handy for dealing with sets of individuals, but "has-a" says how and why somebody believes A and B are two different things. If the property relationship connecting the two individuals is believable, then it helps inform our understanding of the "is-a" relationships assigned to the individuals.

I think it's interesting to look at the DBpedia entry for "Pride and Prejudice" and ask which properties are problematic and why. How we could tweak them to make more sense without starting from scratch?

http://dbpedia.org/page/Pride_and_Prejudice

Jeff