Re: ANN: Sudoc bibliographic ans authority data

Hi Antoine,

Le 09/07/2011 13:29, Antoine Isaac a écrit :
> Hi Yann,
>
> This is really great stuff!
Merci :)

> I was wondering, about the microdata thingy. You're probably the first
> ones to fit library data into schema.org: what's your feeling about it?
> In particular, is the schema.org model really "far" away from the data
> you have? And did you feel this job was really different from the one
> of publishing RDF as linked data?

Some subjective feelings :
. The schema.org microdata that we expose are poor, but as poor as many
OAI-PMH records that populate many repositories.
. The schema.org microdata can talk about several entities, which is not
possible with OAI-PMH.
. As we have decided to use the 'itemid' attribute, we hope that these
microdata will join a Web of interlinked data, and not only a Google
silo of juxtaposed data.
. Adding metadata to an HTML page is often a frustrating experience,
whether you've chosen microdata or RDFa : too many compromises between
the expressivity of metadata and the simplicity of HTML code.
. The uncertainty about the peaceful coexistence of the schema.org
vocabulary and other vocabularies is a real problem.
. All the limitations you encounter with microdata (and even RDfa) are
balanced by the freedom to design metadata as you want in separate RDF
pages.

Voila :)

Yann

> Cheers,
>
> Antoine
>

>>   Bonjour,
>>
>> Sudoc [1], the French academic union catalogue maintained by ABES
>> [2], has just been released as linked open data.
>>
>> 10 million bibliographic records are now available as RDF/XML.
>>
>> Examples for the Sudoc record whose internal id is 132133520 :
>> . Resource URI : http://www.sudoc.fr/132133520/id
>> . Generic document : http://www.sudoc.fr/132133520 (content
>> negotiation is supported)
>> . RDF/XML page : http://www.sudoc.fr/132133520.rdf
>> . HTML pages with schema.org microdata [3] for search engines :
>> http://www.sudoc.fr/132133520.html . The users are not supposed to
>> visit these microdata pages : they are redirected to the standard UI
>> : http://www.sudoc.abes.fr/xslt/DB=2.1/SRCH?IKT=12&TRM=132133520
>>
>> Sudoc RDF data are linked to http://lexvo.org and http://dewey.info/ .
>>
>> They are also linked to IdRef [4], ie the Sudoc authority file that
>> ABES considers as a separate and open application.
>> 2 million IdRef records are also available as RDF data (since October
>> 2010).
>> The links between Sudoc and IdRef are bidirectional.
>> For example, http://www.sudoc.fr/110404416/id ( / / /Rethinking
>> symbolism/ by Dan Sperber ) links to D. Sperber's IdRef URI:
>> http://www.idref.fr/027146030/id .
>> But, in the other direction, http://www.idref.fr/027146030/id links
>> to *all* the Sudoc documents that are linked to this authority.
>>
>> In next months, we hope to add more links to our data, to OCLC and
>> BnF resources among others.
>>
>> More info (in French) here : http://punktokomo.abes.fr/
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Yann