Re: Linked Data URIs in MARC Authorities

Michael,

I can see where it gets messy when linking from individual subfields. I think it was a perfectly valid suggestion, and adding a standardised way to add URIs to (parts of) a MARC21 record would be welcome. On the other hand a lot of the code-subfields have implicit information about where the codes are supposed to come from (i.e the link might not be necessary).  A small change to MARCXML would ofcourse let it carry the URL in an attribute instead, which would make MARCXML better suited for transformation to RDF.

Is there an ongoing discussion somewhere on this?

/martin

On Oct 1, 2010, at 6:52 PM, Panzer,Michael wrote:

> Jeff and Martin,
>
> the main problem is that there is no general support ( for URIs in MARC (in $0 and elsewhere). Some fields (like 856 Electronic Location and Access) recognize $u for that purpose.
>
> A discussion paper was submitted to MARBI and discussed at ALA Midwinter (2010-DP02: Encoding URIs for controlled values in MARC records; http://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/2010/2010-dp02.html), but was pretty much shot down by the committee, mainly because MARC lacks a consistent identifier strategy; e.g., there is no easy way of dealing with the relationship(s) between the identifier (URI) and identified subfield value, etc.
>
> An additional problem that came up was that the paper didn’t take MARCXML into consideration, even when it is treated only as a serialization of MARC 21 (as it is done today).
>
> Michael

Martin Malmsten (martin.malmsten@kb.se) - Senior Developer
National Library of Sweden / National cooperation dept. / LIBRIS
http://libris.kb.se