Re: yaml-ld?

Agree about hand editing, the two big pains in JSON are the "quotes"
required for keys, : required, and that lists/objects can't end with ,
(arrrrgh). Editor syntax highlight helps.

The sandbox is also better now at explaining JSON errors.

You can avoid quoting for "@id" by mapping "id": "@id".

Does YAML allow some forms which can't exist easily in JSON, like mixing
lists and objects?

I would not expect to see "YAML-LD" published as Linked Data, that would be
confusing the landscape, but as a format you "compile" to JSON-LD, great!