Re: playground schema.org support

(top-posting...)

So I'd rather get this done directly ASAP at schema.org. There are a few
pieces to do, but parallelizable.

1. We need to get schema.org rehosted on appspot, so that the homepage can
be content-negotiated. I'm handling that with colleagues at Google. Approx
ETA 1-week to 1-month.

2. We need to be sure that the context fairly represents schema.org. Is
https://github.com/json-ld/json-ld.org/blob/master/contexts/schema.org.jsonldthe
latest integrated design/proposal from the JSON-LD community,
obsoleting previous sketches? There were some threads with me, Sandro,
Gregg after we spent time hacking around at SemTech. One issue was how we
deal with properties that schema.org say can either take a string or a
thing? While schema.org generally accepts that publishers will mix these
up, there are a few specific cases where variant value types are
encouraged. Sandro made a nice list and tried to categorize; I'll dig that
out. Looking at the draft above, I see it uses xsd types, and wonder if
those might be a bit strict. What practical effect do they have?

3. We need to get generation of the latest version of a context file
integrated into schema.org. This is mostly on me. The information we have
that can be used for generating said context file is mostly exposed here,
http://schema.org/docs/schema_org_rdfa.html though I'll write something
that generates the context doc alongside the RDFa exporter, based on
internal APIs / code.

While waiting in (1.) I can already fairly easily run copies of
schema.orgon appspot (e.g. we do this for drafts like
sdo-actions.appspot.com); while working on (3.) I could make a first cut
that serves a static one-off context file and put it up in that manner for
now. Which makes the generation of this first cut static version of context
the most important thing to collaborate on, for now.

cheers,

Dan

ps. excerpting from earlier thread w/ Sandro+Gregg:
"http://www.w3.org/People/**Sandro/schema-org-context.**jsonld<http://www.w3.org/People/Sandro/schema-org-context.jsonld>
 (for the 17 that are used both ways, I just flipped a coin -- using the
first range that appears.)"--sandro

and from Gregg, """You can always work around the interpretation provided
by the context by being explicit in the JSON-LD. For example:

To always express a value as a literal:

{ "foo": {"@value": "bar"}}

To always express a value as an IRI:

{ "foo": {"@id": "bar"}}

To always express a set of values as a list:

{"foo": {"@list": ["bar"]}}

To express a set of values which are defined to be a list in the context as
a set of unordered values:

{"foo": {"@set": ["bar", "baz"]}} """