Re: Yet another serialization format?

On 06/29/2011 04:50 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 6/29/11 3:28 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>>> Let take the the Facebook URL: http://graph.facebook.com/kidehen, that
>>> resolves to a JSON based graph (not linked data since the properties
>>> and
>>> values are all literals and URIs do not resolve to representations of
>>> their referents).
>> What exactly do you mean by "URIs do not resolve to representations
>> of their referents"? I'm a bit confused..
>
> I mean just that an HTTP scheme based Identifier that resolves to a
> Representation of its Referent. The Representation takes the form of
> an EAV/SPO graph pictorial (Attribute=Value pairs that coalesce around
> a Named Subject) with serializations formats being negotiable.

I can attempt a slightly more fuzzy, less technically correct, but
perhaps easier to grasp, explanation for what I believe Kingsley's
statement meant:

There's a Linked Data object that mentions a Thing. That Thing is
referred to by a web page (the Referent) for which you can get a
Representation. You can use HTTP to resolve the web page's URI and get
back a graph of information that will, somewhere in it, refer to the
Thing. You can use HTTP to negotiate for various kinds of
Representations of the same graph (eg: RDFa, JSON-LD, etc).

The whole point is so that, given a Linked Data object, you can always
"follow your nose" (resolve a URI) when trying to find out what the
values and properties in the object mean and where they uniquely reside
on the web. It also allows you to make sure that you're talking about
the same Thing as someone else who might happen to make statements about
that Thing using Linked Data.

Now, more specifically towards your question, when Kingsley was saying
that the JSON graph that is found here:

http://graph.facebook.com/kidehen

{
    "id": "605980750",
    "name": "Kingsley Uyi Idehen",
    "first_name": "Kingsley",
    "middle_name": "Uyi",
    "last_name": "Idehen",
    "link": "http://www.facebook.com/kidehen",
    "username": "kidehen",
    "gender": "male",
    "locale": "en_US"
}

Is not Linked Data, he simply meant that the properties "id", "name",
etc, and the values "605980750", "kidehen", etc. are literal strings,
they are not URIs and they have no Linked Data context that could map
them to URIs (the "@context" concept in JSON-LD). That means that their
meaning cannot be somehow derived by using the information itself. You
need some other document or piece of information to be able to
understand their meaning. In order to "link" your data to other data on
the web, you must have identifiers and properties that are URIs that can
be followed to retrieve Representations of the graphs that refer to them
and give them meaning.

If we want to make the property "name" meaningful in the Linked Data
world, it should be part of a vocabulary that explains what a "name" is.
Then "name" should be mapped to a URI that resolves to that vocabulary.
If we want to be able to refer to identifier "605980750" elsewhere, then
it should be replaced with a URI that can be resolved to a graph that
refers to that identifier and, likely, provides more information about it.

--
Dave Longley
CTO