Re: volunteering for the army

On 25 Feb 2014, at 19:06, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:

> On 02/25/2014 12:19 PM, Roger Menday wrote:

>>> The HTML analogy doesn't tell me enough.   What are the ldp clients in your scenario actually trying to do?
>>>

>> All the usual stuff:
>> - add a bug to a bugsystem
>> - add a new (sub)directory to a directory (?)
>> - add a new asset or liability to a networth
>>
>> I'm saying that for discovering the interaction possibilities of an application one needs to know both what the <form> processor is saying it will create (and how), as well as the link it will add between the creator and the created.
>>

> Okay, can you dig a little farther into a simple one, like add-a-new-bug-report?
>
> I'd think the application would be given the URL of a software project.  From there, it would follow some sort of link like doap:bug-database to an ldp:Container, which it would presume contains bug report, since this thing was referred to as a bug database.  When the user clicks 'submit new bug report', the client some RDF using some bug-describption vocabulary and POSTs it to that container.   If the server accepts that, the bug is now reported.

Let me give one answer in defence of Roger.

Relating to the following the links part of your story: We are on the web and so we want to be able to follow a link from any site to the bug report database. There may be links from sites that just list LDPCs, and there may be links that pointed to a LDPC that was once an insect collection service, but is now the bug database for the insect collection software. Ie links can be dead, or wrong. So it is important that the LDPC itself say what type of LDPC it is.

Ways of a collection specifying how to limit what should be POSTed to it:

(1) There was a RDF Validation Workship last September [1] that is one way to specify what types of graph shapes a LDPC allows one to POST to it.
(2) The LDPC could indicate what the consequences of POSTing are:

   <> a ldp:DirectContainer;
        ldp:membershipResource <new#pile> ;
        ldp:isMembershipOfRelation baetle:state .

 if battle:state is defined as

  baetle:state a rdfs:Property
     rdfs:domain baetle:IssueDocument;
     rdfs:range baetle:State .

then a client would know that before POSTing something here it has to understand what an IssueDocument is,
and what a baetle:State is, and it has to accept that the relation of baetle:state from the
baetle:IssueDocument to the <new#pile> be true.

 A client that did not understand that would not POST there for fear of sending his loving owner to the
Army.  ( But beware of robot upheavals predicted by  RFC4287 example 1.1 )

   Henry

[1] http://www.w3.org/2012/12/rdf-val/

> How does that fall short of what you want?
>
>        -- Sandro
>
>> Roger

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/