Re: LDP would benefit from being RESTful

On 11/16/12 1:57 PM, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> On Wednesday 14. November 2012 13.58.33 David Booth wrote:
>> On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 10:28 -0800, Erik Wilde wrote:
>>> [ . . .  ] RDF isn't
>>> RESTful it itself because it's not a hypermedia format.
>> Huh?  I'm baffled by that comment.  Why do you say RDF is not a
>> hypermedia format?   For one thing, RDF is composed almost entirely of
>> URIs, i.e., links.  How much more link-ful can you get?
> Erik is partially right: By itself, RDF is a hypermedia format only on a
> very, very superficial level.
>
> I'd like to encourage everybody to do the exercise to go Mike Amundsen's
> hypermedia classification: http://amundsen.com/hypermedia/hfactor/
> You will quickly realize that RDF, out of the box, is a hypermedia only on
> the LO level.
>
> However, as I show in my ESWC LAPIS2012 presentation, see
> http://folk.uio.no/kjekje/2012/lapis2012.xhtml
> RDF can be made to be a very powerful hypermedia type by fairly trivial
> means. In fact, it can easily meet all but one of Amundsen's criteria (I
> just realised that LE can be met using data URIs).
>
> I've been talking with people F2F on ISWC about this, and I hope I have
> convinced some that this is the direction one should be going. And I really
> don't think this is out of the scope of the charter, to the contrary, if
> this is done right, it is what the charter really means. :-)
>
> Best,
>
> Kjetil

RDF isn't RESTFul at all. It's just a webby entity relationship model
endowed with explicit entity relationship semantics. Thus, an RDF
serialization isn't implicitly RESTful.

RDF based Linked Data is RESTful, in the basic sense. The basic level
you assigned to RDF really belongs to RDF based Linked Data :-)

W3C's LDP profile effort could/should/might produce a spec for a more
fine-grain use of RESTful patterns combined with RDF based Linked Data
that accelerates emergence of the Web's nascent Read-Write dimension.

SeeAlso:

1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ldp/2012Nov/0004.html --
an example of how it comes together leveraging SIOC .

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO