Re: SPARQL subset as a PATCH format for LDP

Hi all,

I'm sorry I won't be able (again) to join today's call. However, here are
some thoughts regarding this discussion.

First, I understand that multiplying syntaxes can hinder adoption so
indeed, if LD-Patch fails to be significantly simpler than SPARQL Update
for the average user, it will probably bring more harm than good.
Personally I'm open to try to simplify it if the group feels like it (as
stated before, we see it as an "assembly language", so it is meant to keep
simple):

- UpdateList is, I think, the most complicated part. It could probably be
droped without losing expressivity (but making list manipulation a pain in
the arm). Or may be a simpler, less expressive version could be a good
middle ground.

- Paths could not be simplified without losing expressivity, I think.
Sincerely, I find then significantly simpler than BGPs, so if people find
them complicated, I tend to think that it is due to the way we described
them more than to the syntax itself.

Second, I understand that people with a SPARQL implementation would prefer
to be able to reuse it (and I sympathize 110%). For them, we could simply
provide an LD-Patch-to-SPARQL-Update translation procedure. This should be
relatively straightforward, and would be a good way for people knowing
SPARQL to get a grasp of the semantics of LD-Patch.

Best