Re: Reminder of the workshop and its outcome

The results of this workshop notwithstanding -- since I don't understand
them to be binding on anyone -- the problem with ShEx is that it has no
users, no production-ready implementations, no test suites, no
documentation, no experienced body of practitioners, and no vendors
standing behind it. Software and standards are about a lot more than a
specification document and some proof of concept code, as I'm sure everyone
agrees.

I'm sure that it's very interesting work. But to say that it's work that's
ready to be standardized is quite a stretch, no matter what the outcome of
the workshop. We point to the outcome of the workshop as somehow binding or
instructive, but I don't see anywhere in the report of the workshop where
ShEx is mentioned. I'm not even sure ShEx existed at that time. It seems
like a classic case of WG's doing R&D to try to standardize ShEx at this
time. Haven't we done enough of that in this space?

The other possibilities, no matter what the outcome of the workshop, *are*
ready to be standardized and I rather suspect some work on combining the
best elements of each will get us much further, must faster than trying to
mature ShEx.

Cheers,
Kendall

PS--It's "ICV", not "CIV". :>