Re: ldp-ISSUE-73 (rdf:member): LDPCs to list all their rdf:member [Linked Data Platform core]

Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote on 05/29/2013 09:06:01 AM:

> The intent as you can see from the SPARQL example is that one use
> rdf:member as the relation.
> I'll edit it to
>
> [[
> An LDPC MUST list all the resources created in it as a relation
> between the container and the created LDPR via
> the rdf:member relation.
> ]]

This reads as if this only concerns resources that were created via the
container (presumably using POST) and doesn't necessarily apply to a
member resource that would be added via PATCH. I don't think that's what
you mean, is it?

> If you look further in Model 2, which he put together with you,
> you'll see that the </app/BugTracker/products/> container
> contains no members:
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
> <http://example.org> a ldp:Container;
>  ldp:membershipSubject <http://example.org/app/BugTracker>;
>  ldp:membershipPredicate bt:tracksProduct .
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> But that one is meant to guess from looking at the BugTracker resource
that
> members were created.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
> <http://example.org/app/BugTracker> a bt:BugTracker;
>  tracksProduct </app/BugTracker/products/ProductA> ,
>            </app/BugTracker/products/ProductB> ;
>         hasBug </app/BugTracker/bugs/1> .
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saying that the container contains no members is incorrect. And there is
no guessing involved to find otherwise.

The membershipSubject of the container tells you the subject of the
triples you need to look for and its membershipPredicate tells you the
predicate of the triples you need to look for.

So to find the members of the container you need to look for triples of
the form:
membershipSubject membershipPredicate member

Where membershipSubject membershipPredicate have been substituted to their
appropriate value.

The triples that match this pattern tell you which members the container
contains.

> Now issue-73 is not arguing that one should remove those
rdf:membershipXXX
> relations. (Though they are seriously misleading.) I'll open an issue on
> the misleading nameing of rdf:membershipXXX perhaps, so that these
issues
> remain clearly seperated.

That you think the names are misleading only shows that so far we have
failed to properly convey what they are meant for.

This again makes me wonder how much of this discussion is due to
misunderstanding. If anything this shows that we at least need to clarify
the intent!

Thanks.