Re: Issue-71: the first bug tracking example

On 05/22/2013 11:14 AM, Henry Story wrote:

> On 22 May 2013, at 16:41, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>> Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote on 05/22/2013 06:27:17 AM:

>>> I have no idea what you mean "define containers without forcing
>>> people to change their vocabulary".
>>> The question is what is the UC&R for this functionality? Where does
>>> it come from? What is the
>>> need? (I mean for the protocol)
>>
>> This is about allowing people to expose existing data in which they have been using something like Nandana's bt:hasBugReport predicate or something similar without forcing them to change the representation of their data to use rdf:member.
>
> I don't see how we are forcing people to change their data given that the LDP spec
> is not finished and this is in flux.

Henry may have some crazy ideas from time to time, but I have to admit
that on this one, I'm on his side.

My biggest fear is LDP to become a mini-language whose semantics
(eg. container membership) would depend on an external domain
model. There should be *only one way* to speak about membership.

I'm a bit puzzled by the argument "it's an easy one so let's add it"
to the spec. I believe that there is no need at all for such a feature
and as noted, there was no corresponding item in UC&R. I may be wrong,
but I'm not sure that people are desperately in need of such a feature
and if yes, it would always be possible to add it in the next version
of the spec, with very little cost.

Of course, if I had to vote on keeping or not this feature, I would
say 0 (I can live with it). But still, that makes the spec both more
complex and difficult to understand, while it should be simple and
easy.

Alexandre.