Re: LD 5th Element ?

On 5/21/13 12:23 PM, Roger Menday wrote:

> hello Kingsley,

>>> For me rules 1-4, describe why GETable LD is so great, in a simple
>>> and clear way.
>>>
>>> e.g. "look up" doesn't need clarification.
>>
>> Yes, because anything other than "look up" would have introduced
>> comprehension and rollout inertia re., the LOD cloud effort that
>> arose around TimBL's Linked Data meme.
>>

>>> Rules 1-4 describe how to go on a read-only 'journey' through the
>>> data. Then the "useful information" (including links) of rules 3 and
>>> 4, may be used to guide the 'changing' part (the 5th element).
>>>
>>> Therefore, I don't think it is particularly helpful to conflate the
>>> all the interaction possibilities into rules 1-4. So I'm still
>>> partial to viewing this as incremental.
>>
>> The goal wasn't to conflate. The goal was to clarify that Web has
>> always been about URIs driving interactions. That a "look up" is but
>> one kind of interaction that a URI facilitates (so called
>> "affordance") re., Web architecture.
>
> 3. "When someone looks up a URI, provide useful information, using the
> standards (RDF*, SPARQL)"
>
> This sentence is strongly targeting the 'look up' case. If you replace
> "look up" in the sentance above with 'interact with', it misses a lot
> of the essence of that interaction.

Not disputing that. Basically, that meme is all about the Read-Only
dimension.

>> You could also look at Linked Data as having Read-Only and Read-Write
>> dimensions. The Read-Only dimension is about "look ups" (the
>> "resolves to" aspect) while Read-Write dimension is about the
>> "responds to" aspect.
>>
>> The RWW and LDP groups are (IMO) about the Read-Write aspect hence
>> the issue I have with the notion of a 5th element.
>>
>>> Roger
>>>
>>> p.s. For the reasons related to above, I am not quite sure if I am
>>> happy with describing this as CRUD. I think there is something more
>>> than CRUD in what LDP is building.
>>
>> Ultimately, it's all about URIs and the interactions that they
>> facilitate.
>
> So, I prefer "interactions they facilitate" !!

Yes, but, within interactions we have two distinct types of interactions:

1. Read-Only
2. Read-Write
3. Other.

In all cases, interactions are facilitated by URIs that provide dual
functionality:

1. entity denotation
2. data object (resource) identification.

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/166qtRh -- Linked Data hash URIs
2. http://bit.ly/YxW21k -- Linked Data hashless URIs.

So we end up with names and address indirection based interactions with
data objects (resources) via URIs, irrespective.

I believe it's much clearer to look at different kinds of Linked Data
interactions, across dimensions (or aspects), rather than adding a 5th
element to something most folks still don't quite understand :-)

Kingsley