Re: Affordances wiki page

On 3/4/13 4:50 AM, Wilde, Erik wrote:
> do you have any idea where thehttp://www.w3.org/wiki/RdfAffordances  page
> originates? i would argue that it contains some really misguided ideas,
> such as looking at the URIs in RDF as links.
Yes, that's misguided because its inaccurate.

RDF != Linked Data.

That paragraph is actually an attempt at describing RDF based Linked
Data [1] using HTML. As you can see from the page history, it's also
kind of old [2].

RDF based Linked Data is very simple:

1. de-referencable URIs denote/name (refer to)  things
2. those URIs resolve to documents bearing content (entity relationship
graphs) that describe what the URI denotes
3. every 3-tuple is an entity relationship graph represents a
propositional statement comprised of 3 parts where each is denoted by a
de-referencable URI
4. every 3-tuple is an entity relationship graph where each denoted
entity plays one of the following roles: subject, predicate, object
5. the predicate of the 3-tuple denotes the semantics of the
relationship/association between its subject and predicate -- via
domain, range, and other characteristics/properties (e.g.,
subPropertyOf, equivalentProperty, symmetry, transitivity  etc..)
6. the subject, predicates, and objects of the 3-tuple based
statements/propositions are all instances of classes -- this includes
subClassOf and equivalentClassOf type semantics etc.

This is good old entity relationship modelling with a twist i.e., it
scales to the Web by virtue of de-referencable URIs (e.g., HTTP URIs)
and leverages explicit machine-comprehensible entity relationship
semantics based on first-order logic.

As I've stated repeatedly, all of this will become really obvious when
ontologies/vocabularies/schemas, implementations, and interop testing
dominate the LDP discussion. Until then, it looks like we are just going
to be looping on this matter of RDF based Linked Data and REST,
unfortunately.

Links:

1. http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html -- TimBL's Linked Data
meme .