Re: Affordances wiki page

Erik,

I agree with you that RDF in itself does not provide affordances, and that
the fact that it uses URIs does not mean that those URIs are links (in the
hypermedia/REST sense).

I think, however, that (RDF + some built-in knowledge about a given
vocabulary) does provide affordances. For example, a client knowing what
foaf:depication means can use it to provide a better representation of the
depicted resource.

The goal of the LDP recommendation is to describe the built-in knowledge
that all LDP-client are expected to have about the ldp: vocabulary. And
this knowledge about the ldp: vocabulary should apply to *any* RDF graph
that the client encounters, regardless of the media-type it got it from
(Turtle, RDF/XML, RDFa...). So I disagree with you that we need a specific
media-type for LDP.

Of course, it would be good to provide the client with a hint of the
vocabularies it can expect to find in some RDF, even *before* parsing it.
This is where I think your profile proposal adds some value, as something
*orthogonal* to the media-type.

  pa