Re: An IRC discussion with Alexandre Bertails re SSUE-19:

On 5 Jun 2013, at 20:26, Alexandre Bertails <bertails@w3.org> wrote:

> On 06/05/2013 02:05 PM, Henry Story wrote:
>>
>> Well, I just proved it from basic principles. You can decide not to
>> be convinced, but that is beyond the reaches of reason then. If you
>> explained what did not convince you then one could progress.
>
> Henry, I just wanted to make clear that I didn't agree that you proved
> anything. The same questions remain: text/turtle does not tell you
> that you can infer the interaction with a resource by looking at its
> RDF type.

Whoever told you that a mime type should tell you anything about how
to interact with a resource? The role of the mime type is just to tell
you what the type of the bytes in the body that constitute the
representation returned by the resource are. That and a few other
headers will allow you to parse those bytes to reconsitute the media
sent to you.

Where do you get the idea that mime types should do anything else? (spec
text to  support your point of view would be helpful here).

Put it another way: if you did put the information in the mime type that
the resoure was an LDPC, using your hypothetical

   text/turtle+ldpc

why would that be any more reliable about  the resource being an LDPC
than the content of a text/turtle graph just containing the triple

  <> a ldp:Container .

After all mime types could also be wrong ( especially as you are adding
semantic information now to the mime type, rather than syntactic
information ! )

So text/turtle+ldpc does not give you any more reliable information that
putting the information in the body.

If you want it in the header than just use the Link header to put that.

The mime type is to describe the type of the body of the HTTP message.
But what we need to do is describe the resource which we are going to interact
with. That is what Resource Description Framework is for.

Henry