Re: An IRC discussion with Alexandre Bertails re SSUE-19:

On 6/5/13 3:08 PM, Alexandre Bertails wrote:
> On 06/05/2013 02:36 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

>>> Henry, I just wanted to make clear that I didn't agree that you proved
>>> anything. The same questions remain: text/turtle does not tell you
>>> that you can infer the interaction with a resource by looking at its
>>> RDF type.
>>
>> Do you agree that RDF based Linked Data principles (TimBL's meme)
>
> We're defining LDP, a concrete specification, with a formal process
> and a group of people. So with all respect to TimBL, I don't care
> about the meme you're talking about.

Alex,

I am trying to have a civil conversation with you. I made reference to
TimBL's meme in an attempt to establish a reference point. For the
record (one more time) I don't even agree with TimBL's revised Linked
Data meme, in short, it's actually one of the sources of all of this
confusion. I told him that years ago and will tell him that until the
end of time until its revised.

The original meme penned by TimBL made no mention of RDF or SPARQL. If
that meme had stayed intact it would have cut this (and many others)
down, substantially [1].  And by the way, Roy is also a narrative
confusion vector too [2], the whole "Everything is a Resource" meme is
broken, because the ability to sense is affected by projection medium,
so you can't simply make that blanket claim and wonder why those that
believe that world view are eternally confused (note to the RESTafari !).

The problem with RDF is conflation. It's so conflated that its eternally
difficult to reorient reasonable folks back to its fundamental essence.

Back to the point at hand here:

You can throw both "RDF" and "Linked Data" out of the window and still
triangulate a coherent conversation about the Web itself and AWWW.

The World Wide Web has been based on an entity relationship graph from
day one. Here's why: Links denote Relations [3].

Every thing we sense on the the Web is the product of Relations,
Relation Subjects, and Relations Objects. All of the aforementioned are
denoted using HTTP URIs.

Today, we are simply evolving the types of Entities that comprise Web
Relations. In the beginning all the Entities were of Type: Web Document.
Now we have Entities of type: Any (or in OWL parlance owl:Thing).

The LDP question:

Again, and I raised this eons ago, what does this effort mean when it
claims:

1. RDF compliance?
2. Linked Data compliance?
3. Turtle as the MUST support Media Type?

Believe me, I don't participate in these threads for lack of better
things to do with my time. I've just been around the Data block a few
times over the last 20+ years and I recognize trouble when I see it.
Worst of all, artificial trouble that arises when the fundamental
narrative is garbled.

Note: I warned this group about this matter and it was simply pushed
aside. If it weren't for the fact that I understand what Henry is trying
to get the majority to digest, I would actually be dead silent at this
point.

Links:

1. http://twitpic.com/5m2lu5/full -- TimBL espousing opaque URIs (note:
URIs are the key to this game, that's the genius of the Web, not Resources!)

2. http://twitpic.com/5m2pp9/full -- Roy espousing hackable-urls (well
that doesn't really work, it assumes Relations where Entities are all of
Type: Document or Information Object or Web Resource) which ultimately
is broken since in reality "everything is a resource" doesn't cut it re.
clarity etc..

3. http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988#section-3 - Web Linking (a spec
that clearly describes what Links denote).

Kingsley

>> imply
>> that the URIs in a Turtle doc denote entities such that when
>> de-referenced you end up with a description of the URI's referent? Let's
>> at least cross or not cross this bridge, as a first step.
>
> You guys keep talking about description/presentation. That's not the
> question as we have already all agreed on using RDF to expose the LDP
> model. The question is to know what HTTP interactions are allowed with
> RDF resources found in a text/turtle document.
>
> You act as if RDF was equivalent to a media type when it comes to HTTP
> interactions (again, not just the trivial ones like GET). But RDF is
> just a data model. It does not define a REST API.
>
> Alexandre.
>

>> Kingsley
>>>
>>> Alexandre.

Kingsley Idehen