Re: ISSUE-36: Summary of ways of making containers

From: Roger Menday <Roger.Menday@uk.fujitsu.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:20:12 +0000
CC: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>, "public-ldp-wg@w3.org" <public-ldp-wg@w3.org>
To: "Wilde, Erik" <Erik.Wilde@emc.com>

>> Let's say that LDP is the web for robots (i.e. HTML is replaced by RDF,
>> hypermedia -> hyperdata). What is the application out there on the human
>> web which requires container creation, which we also need to offer to our
>> robotic clients ?
>
> any kind of app that wants to include LDP services in its own services,
> and that wants to provide collection creation (explicitly, or for data
> management reasons) as part of its services.

if that's the case, then it's part of the application, and in which case, not something we need to worry about.

> let's take an app that allows
> people to manage giant amounts of LDP-style data. it uses some scalable
> LDP service in the cloud. when a new client joins that app, a new
> collection in created for this client, where the client can now manage RDF
> data.

> in addition, the app does value-added things that help the user to
> better manage their data than through vanilla LDP. in such a scenario, the
> LDP cloud service needs to provide a service for creating collections,
> since there is no other way for the value-added app to talk to it; there
> is no behind-the-scenes connection between the LDP service and the
> value-added app.
>
> do you think this scenario qualifies?

You have essentially presented me with a very generic data management application as a scenario. And even in this case, there is still an application which drives that generic data management ...
So why are we worrying about client driven container creation ? I believe that the webby way is that when this necessary, then the server will make it an option. So, client directed container creation is always a red herring.

Roger