Re: MKCOL for making collections

On 22 Jan 2013, at 22:04, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> "Wilde, Erik" <Erik.Wilde@emc.com> wrote on 01/22/2013 12:27:59 PM:
>
> > nope, i'd say that a container/collection only accepts entries (ignoring
> > the "non-RDF media type containers/collections" for now), and if you POST
> > anything else, you'll get a "precondition violated" exception.
>
> I believe this is where the disconnect is.
>
> If I got it right, in AtomPub and the model Erik is suggesting we adopt because it would work both for composition and aggregation, a collection doesn't contain member resources directly, it contains entries. Entries can then contain resources (composition) or links to other resources (aggregation).
> The cost of this model is to introduce a level of indirection.

Yes, there is a level of indirection. One could model it in RDF as shown here
http://bblfish.net/work/atom-owl/2006-06-06/AtomOwl.html#sec-example

> LDPC do not have anything like that. Instead, resources are directly referenced from the container.

The key thing to remember for this thread, is that whatever Atom Pub
does, it does not know how to create collections, even though it would have
been very interesting I am sure to a lot of people to have that option
available. Given that I am not sure the discussion of Atom is really relevant
to this thread.