Re: Review and Comments for Linked Data Platform FPWD

On 30/10/12 15:33, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
> Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com> wrote on 10/29/2012
> 09:58:57 PM:
>  > ...
>  >
>  > Why not POST to create the new resource, using an empty body, get the
>  > URI back "Location:"), then PUT the contents?  c.f. 303 roundtrip.  Then
>  > the RDF to be stored can be created after the URI is allocated and
>  > standard toolkits can be used.
>  >
>  > This also allows you to POST the entry in the container - or POST to the
>  > container itself, c.f. ?non-member-properties.
>  >

> The downside obviously is to require an additional roundtrip.

I agree it's something we need to be aware of.  It is a second HTTP
operation on a presumably already open/cached connection so the TCP and
server sync costs are reduced.  It is similar to getting CSS or JS from
a link in an HTML page.

That said, I think the more likely significant cost is application time
to produce the RDF once the location is known.  This is the same either
way, with the ordering of the operations being different.

	Andy