RE: Operations on containers

From: Steve Battle <steve.battle@sysemia.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 16:53:35 +0100
To: "'Roger Menday'" <roger.menday@uk.fujitsu.com>
Cc: <public-ldp-wg@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Menday [mailto:roger.menday@uk.fujitsu.com]
Sent: 19 October 2012 15:05
To: Steve Battle
Cc: 'Andy Seaborne'; public-ldp-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Operations on containers

>> e.g. The wording of ' Linked Data Platform 1.0' could be amended to read:
>> 5.6.1 If a LDPC server supports deletion of the LDPC, the server may also
delete contained resources whose hierarchical URIs begin with the URI of the
container C".

>I don't think it is a good idea to rely on the structure of the URLs for
working this out.
>Not least because I think a Container and its Contained items can be on
separate machines.

If the container and the subordinate resource are really under different
_authorities_ then I think strict composition shouldn't be an option.
This approach would still permit weak aggregation across different
authorities.
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt>

>Generally, as you point out, I think there are lots of details in this area
which need consideration, and we need some open issues for that.

Yes - I'll raise an issue and try to capture the different views that have
been expressed so far.

>Roger

Steve