Re: What is the document base URI of a POSTed document?

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 8:11 AM, Steve Battle <steve.battle@sysemia.co.uk>wrote:

> [snip]
>
> ** **
>
> RFC 3986 is written more from the perspective of HTTP GET, so for HTTP
> POST we have to read between the lines.****
>
> Returning to the issue, we would like to know if it is OK to assume in the
> context of an HTTP POST and the above scenario that:****
>
> ** **
>
> 1. If there is no embedded @base and..****
>
> 2. there is no retrieval context for POST and..****
>
> 3. no URI was used to retrieve the representation, then..****
>
> 4. the default base URI can be set by the application to be the URI of the
> created resource.****
>
> **

I would say this is certainly a reasonable and logical assumption. Note,
however, that you need to account for the possible presence of the
Content-Location header within the POST request. If the POST includes a
Content-Location, it's value effectively establishes the base URI.

- James