Re: Linked Data Platform ISSUE-20: What is the base URI of a POSTed document?

On 10/11/12 1:02 PM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
> Hi Kingsley,
>
> I actually agree with you on the fact that RDF and Linked Data are
> different - meaning there is a difference between the two, namely:
> URIs in Linked Data are dereferencable URLs - but I don't think
> repeating the same point over and over is going to make it stick. :-)

It's nuance laced.

You denote Web documents (e.g. Web Pages or other Web artifacts) using a
URI/URL. Basically, a URL which is a subClassOf URI. You denote
everything else with a URI.

Linked Data uses indirection (via de-referencable URI denotation
requirement) to associate a URI (the Data Source Name) with a URL
(actual Data Source/Address/Location). Net effect, a Name resolves to
content perceptible via the Web medium i.e., via a Web artifact such as
a Web page. This content is the mechanism that delivers the *sense* of
the referent of the URI.

> So, I kindly request that we all refrain from flooding the mailing
> list with repeats.

Unfortunately, this isn't what's happening. There is a genuine debate
about a critical nuance that has the predictable behavior or always
rendering this subject matter mercurial. Mercurial subject matter never
gains traction.
> It just makes it much harder for others to stay on top of what's being
> said without dedicating more time than what is really necessary to
> understand everyone's point of view.
If everyone that feels the way you describe spends a little time on the
abundance of material out there many issues will actually get solved.

If we didn't have a problem why do the same old arguments keep on
arising in different guises? Even when some of us have vowed to never
comment on these matters ever again i.e., let folks find out the hard
way at the expense of time they really don't have etc..

The core issue here is that Henry has outlined how you place a chunk of
data at an address on an HTTP network. That simple task has lead us to a
predictable endpoint with broken RDF specs pitched as adjudicator.

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/TCzfQT -- nice Google Talk presentation that explains
why Names (URIs) trump Addresses (URLs) when dealing with Data.

Kingsley