Re: Linked Data Platform ISSUE-20: What is the base URI of a POSTed document?

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:14:34 -0400
To: public-ldp-wg@w3.org
On 10/10/12 10:10 AM, Steve Battle wrote:

> However, as a POSTed resource has no real retrieval context it appears
> to drop right through levels 2 and 3, leaving us with an application
> dependent choice.
>
> In a linked data context one might then ask , "if a URI _were­_ used
> to retrieve the base document, that URI shall be considered the base
> URI." In that case (A) is the most natural solution.

In the realm of Linked Data a de-referencable URI denotes an entity
(anything) such that *indirection* via de-reference resolves to an
entity description graph, at an address. Net effect, an application
focuses its attention on a Data Source Name (DSN i.e., like ODBC and
JDBC) while having (when the entity isn't of type: Web Document)
indirect access to an actual data (resource) address.

*indirection* my be implicit or explicit, that's a function of URI style
i.e., a hash URI gives you *implicit indirection* while a hashless URI
requires *explicit indirection* by the data publisher e.g., via 303
redirection.

Basic rules:

1. Web Documents are denoted using via hashless URI/URL (i.e., the
distinction doesn't matter in this context)
2. Everything else is denoted using a de-referencable URI -- which may
be hash or hashless .

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen