Are more restrictions on PUT needed?

From: Raúl García Castro <rgarcia@fi.upm.es>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 16:18:18 +0200
To: public-ldp-wg@w3.org
Hi,

After all those issues, something that I don't have clear.

"4.4.1 If HTTP PUT is performed on an existing resource, BPR servers
MUST replace the entire persistent state of the identified resource with
the entity representation in the body of the request."

Literally, this means that if someone PUTs the resource Spain on the
resource Raul, the server MUST overwrite Raul with something totally
different.

I don't know if any implementation will work this way.

Maybe we can say something such as that clients must GET before updating
and be sure that the resource is the same; or that only the triples with
subject the BPR will be updated.

Or maybe it is just a matter of rewriting.

What's your opinion?

--

Dr. Raúl García Castro
http://delicias.dia.fi.upm.es/~rgarcia/

Ontology Engineering Group
Departamento de Inteligencia Artificial
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Campus de Montegancedo, s/n - Boadilla del Monte - 28660 Madrid
Phone: +34 91 336 36 70 - Fax: +34 91 352 48 19