Re: forms, direction, query, etc Š

On 11/19/12 4:53 PM, Wilde, Erik wrote:
> hello roger.
>
> On 2012-11-19 09:40 , "Roger Menday" <roger.menday@uk.fujitsu.com> wrote:
>> If it has a flaw, it that a client needs to be SPARQL aware - which I
>> don't think will help uptake.
> not only would clients need to be supporting SPARQL (i don't see my iPhone
> running SPARQL anytime soon), they would also need to use all of the
> vocabularies the server would need to "query into their models".

SPARQL works from anywhere. It already works from any device connected
to the Web via SPARQL Protocol URLs.

>   plus like
> i mentioned earlier, security and privacy implications for anything like
> this would be substantial.

Subjective, depends on the implementation. Some (like ours) have WebID
over TLS (aka WebID authentication) baked in, down to the very finest
levels you can imagine.

>   imagine you shopping for something and wanting
> to ship it somewhere, and then the seller tells you "sure, no problem,
> just let me browse through your complete address book for a minute here..."

That isn't what SPARQL is about, of course you can use it that way, but
that isn't what it is about, in this context.

Anyway, I supported SPARQL on a "devil's advocate" basis (re. previous
post) since LDP is supposed to be based on the Linked Data principles
meme, and that meme makes an equal basis reference to RDF and SPARQL. In
reality, for uptake practicality reasons, I personally wouldn't mandate
SPARQL support (via MUST)  for LDP.

Until we have a clean conceptual guide for LDP, we will keep on tripping
over all of these nuances, unfortunately.

We have to be clear about the mission here. How much of the Linked Data
or RDF based Linked Data principles are going to be mandatory ?

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/M7hd4T -- protecting access to SPARQL endpoints via
exploitation of social relationship semantics

Kingsley

> cheers,
>
> dret.

Kingsley Idehen