Re: LDP interfaces in Java (based on Jena and JAX-RS)

On 8/6/12 11:13 AM, Erik.Wilde@emc.com wrote:
> hello ashok.
>
> On 2012-08-06 17:03 , "Ashok Malhotra" <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com> wrote:
>> I am involved in a couple of standards groups where the data is in XML or
>> JSON
>> and accessed using REST.  These folks are wrestling with he same kinds of
>> issues
>> that motivated us to the start the LDP WG:  collections, large amounts of
>> data,
>> concurrent updates, etc.
> yup, that's exactly where we are, and what we hoped to see addressed by
> the working group. however, when i raised the issue that with the move to
> REST it would make sense to remove the exclusive focus on RDF, the
> majority of the WG was of the opinion that we should only focus on RDF.
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ldp-wg/2012Jul/0029.html is one
> of the threads in the archive where i was proposing to include more of
> REST. since i have tried already, and should probably tread lightly
> because of my status as a co-chair, i decided to not try anymore and
> assume that the WG is focusing on RDF. you're of course free to discuss
> the issue again, but it seems that so far the majority of the WG is happy
> with the RDF focus.
>
> cheers,
>
> dret.

Is it accurate is I summarize all of this as boiling down to decoupling
RDF from Linked Data?

As I stated in an earlier post, Linked Data is about:

1. URIs as denotation (naming) mechanism for entities (web, real-world,
or abstract)
2. URIs/URLs as identifiers for web resources that describe URI referents
3. Structured Data representation constrained by the EAV/CR or RDF data
models + URI behavior described above.

There's an artificial barrier created between Linked Data and REST
whenever one conflates it with RDF -- which isn't about REST.

To conclude, shouldn't this group address the decoupling of Linked and
RDF i.e., make the coupling loose? There's everything to gain and
nothing to lose. In a sense, the first tangible deliverable from this
group could be an official decoupling of Linked Data and RDF. Such a
decoupling will ultimately compliment work that will emerge from the
current RDF workgroup etc..

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software