Re: Ten Questions for the Implementation of the Digital Single Market

Dear Victor,

  thanks for joining the discussion. I am a bit puzzled by your
repsonse. Actually, I thought that we as LD4LT community would have most
interest and expertise to contribute to questions 1 and 2.

I see this as a problem essentially of supporting linking and
localization of product catalogues across countries. And to me this is a
core topic for this community, would you not agree?

It is true that points 8 and 9 are not specific to LD4LT, but important
topics that we should be aware of to create synergies between different
initiatives.

So question back to you: which questions would you say are relevant to
drive our R&D effort in the next 5-10 years?

Regards,

Philipp.

Am 06.04.15 um 12:25 schrieb Víctor Rodríguez Doncel:
> Dear Philipp, all,
>
> I had read the same sources you cite in the PPT and in consequence I
> share your view.
> Nevertheless, I would like to comment on the questions. See below.
>
> El 02/04/2015 15:54, Philipp Cimiano escribió:
>> Dear all,
>>
>>  thanks to those who attended the call today on the topic
>> "Multilingual Linked Data for the Digital Single Market".
>>
>> Here are the 10 important questions that I raised in my slides...
>>
>> 1) How do we support SMEs in providing information about products and
>> their features in 24 languages?
>> 2) How do we ensure consistency and homogeneity of product
>> information so that Pan-European cross-vendor comparison becomes
>> possible?
> I dont think there is much we can do regarding 1-2)
>> 3) How do we support online dispute resolution in 24 languages
>> effectively?
>> 4) How do we support finding previous online dispute resolution
>> similar cases, also across languages?
> There is a recent Directive (Directive 2013/11 on alternative dispute
> resolution for consumer disputes) and a new Regulation (Regulation  No
> 524/2013 on online dispute resolution for consumer disputes), and the
> Online Dispute Resolution is a hot topic in the EC agenda. There are a
> few hundreds ADR systems in force, and there is a plea in favour of
> their coordination.
> Multilingual Linked Data can play a role here but not a leading role.
> It would be good knowing the requirements of the ODR/ADR community and
> determining if we can be of help.
>
>> 5) How do we support linking of public sector datasets (e.g. business
>> registry data, open government data) etc. across languages
>> effectively to allow for mashups, cross-country comparisons,
>> repurposing of data etc.?
>> 6) How do we support SMEs and other organizations in finding and
>> accessing public sector data intuitively?
>> 7) How do we ensure interoperability of public services across borders?
>> 8) How do we ensure quality of and trust in data?
> This problem is not specific of the Multilingual Linked Data
>> 9) How do we support clearance of licensing issue to ensure
>> compliance in data use?
> This belongs to the private law sphere, and we can do little here, but
> provide the means for a data market --for which we are working already
> at LIDER.
>> 10) How do we support SMEs in interacting with customers in 24
>> languages and in listening to the voice of customers in 24 languages?
>>
>> Do you have any feedback or comments on these 10 questions?
>>
>> Comments on how Multilingual Linked Data Technology could contribute
>> to develop solutions to address the above mentioned challenges are
>> more than welcome (see slides 10-15 in my presentation, attached for
>> the sake of easier reference).
> Thanks and see you soon!
> Victor
>>
>> Happy easter to everyone!

> [...]

Prof. Dr. Philipp Cimiano
AG Semantic Computing
Exzellenzcluster für Cognitive Interaction Technology (CITEC)
Universität Bielefeld

Tel: +49 521 106 12249
Fax: +49 521 106 6560
Mail: cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de