Re: [IANA #1160740] Request for media type application/ld+json

> On 23 Feb 2020, at 10:27, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>
> On 2/23/20 7:03 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:
>>> So just to clarify – application/ld+json is the correct thing to use
>>> for the media type of JSON-LD files.  Yes?
>>>
>>> But the ability to have a “custom” type that is marked with +ld+json
>>> has been rejected.  Correct?
>>
>> Yes and yes
>
> That wasn't my read on the email from IANA. They noted that they have to
> discuss it further and they can't just say "yes" without discussing it
> further.

The current request has been rejected, and there are these remarks as alternatives:

a) the suffix would need to be registered at https://www.iana.org/assignments/media-type-structured-suffix <https://www.iana.org/assignments/media-type-structured-suffix>;

b) if the suffix registration request is submitted, it is likely to be denied at this time, because this requires a larger discussion in IETF;

(where 'suffix' here refers to ld+json)

In my view that even if this WG started the procedure in (a) it cannot be completed within the lifetime of this Working Group. My reading is also that any xxx+ld+json would be rejected in the first round; the only effect it would have is to trigger a general discussion within IANA whether a x+y+z type media type would be allowed. God only knows how long that would take.

So… from the point of view of this working group, at this moment the answer to Leonard's question is 'yes'...

Ivan

> -- manu
>
> --
> Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
> blog: Veres One Decentralized Identifier Blockchain Launches
> https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/